Hohenhof: meeting point of the modern era
Built by Henry van de Velde, inhabited by Karl Ernst Osthaus, visited by Walter Gropius, the Hohenhof is the highlight among the buildings of the Villenkolonie Hohenhagen, the Hohenhagen villa colony. In 1908, the building, the ground plan of which is like a double hook, was completed. Van de Velde seamlessly created the interior architecture and designed furniture, wall decorations and floor coverings, lamps and materials, crockery and cutlery. Today, the house, which belongs to the Osthaus Museum in Hagen, contains works by Peter Behrens and J.L.M. Lauweriks, among others, alongside the rooms, which have been preserved and reconstructed in their original form.
Houses on the ?Stirnband?
The Dutch architect Jan Ludovicus Mathieu Lauweriks realised nine houses on ?Am Stirnband? street, whose design he based on a system principle that he himself had developed. Each of the houses is individually designed, yet with their materials, which are repeatedly used, they form a single unit. In the surrounding Villenkolonie Hohenhagen, there are other buildings to be found by Henry van de Velde, Peter Behrens and J.L.M. Lauweriks.
Osthaus Museum Hagen
The interior of today?s Osthaus Museum Hagen, opened in 1902 as the Museum Folkwang, was designed by Henry van de Velde. For two decades, Karl Ernst Osthaus brought current national and international artistic work into the industrial region through his museum work, and in turn had an impact on the regional borders from there. The presentation of the avantgarde made the Folkwang Museum in Hagen a strong magnet for many art enthusiasts.
The focus of the collection is on the early classical modern era, expressionism and new objectivity. The Osthaus Museum offers regular public guided tours to the Hohenhof, the former residence of the Osthaus family, and the houses built by Peter Behrens and J.L.M. Lauweriks in the ?Hohenhagen artists? colony?.